He Who Finds Mercy series

Monday, September 16, 2013

Cleaning toilets keeps you humble

My mother taught me how to clean toilets as a girl, so I decided my sons needed to learn the proper way to execute this unpleasant but necessary chore as well. Upon being hired at a local restaurant at age 16, the oldest was overjoyed when I told him he could remove "cleaning toilets" from his chore list at home.

When he returned home after his first day at work he said, "I'm glad you taught me how to clean toilets. Guess what I had to do today at the restaurant?"

I'm sure my son thought he was moving on to bigger and better things at the restaurant, but the fact is there will always be toilets that need cleaning. If we ever think we are "too important" to humble ourselves in order clean toilets, we are in trouble.

James 4:10 says, "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will exalt you."

Jesus set the perfect example of humility by willingly leaving the throne of heaven. He "emptied Himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Philippians 2:5-8

If Christ had not been willing to humble Himself, we would not have the hope of heaven!

Notice He "humbled Himself by becoming obedient." True obedience requires humility, which is "a modest sense of one's own importance." If we pridefully believe we are more important than anyone else, including God, OR if we have a false sense of humility and believe we are worthless, we cannot submit ourselves to the Father's will. In one of Scripture's greatest paradoxes, "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28

Have you cleaned any toilets today?

No comments:

Post a Comment