Monday, November 6, 2017

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: A lovely, lyrical tale of historical fiction

The Book Dragon has read Playing by Heart by Carmela A. Martino, a musical tale of 18th century Milan, and gives it 5 "Bravos!" er, claws!
My 5 star review: "This is a beautiful piece of historical fiction, set in 18th century Milan. The MC is a musician, and it was fascinating to watch her talents and opportunities unfold, especially during a time when the education of young women was considered unnecessary. Like her lovely compositions, I was moved by the story and the superb writing. The details were so well-researched, I never once felt anything but totally immersed in the time and place. If you like historical fiction about strong young women, I highly recommend this book! Finishing this book gave me the same satisfied feeling as listening to a brilliant concert!"

Since the cover is so beautiful, and my Kindle picture above doesn't do it justice, here's a closer look:
This book is featured in the historical section with Treachery and Truth at Catholic Teen Books.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book! And I appreciate the lovely review. Mille grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree whole-heartedly. I think Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, and this book does not disappoint. I hope there will be more from this author.

    ReplyDelete