Monday, July 6, 2020

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: A Timely, Practical, and Inspirational Book for All Americans

The Book Dragon has finished Dan Crenshaw's Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage and gives it 5 claws!
My review: I don't read much nonfiction, but when I happened upon a video clip of the author calmly speaking to an emotional reactionary, I immediately thought, "I want to be like him." I looked him up and discovered this book, and boy am I GLAD I did! I can't recommend this book enough, especially during these times of over-the-top rage and lack of civility. Thanks, Dan Crenshaw, for writing such an accessible, practical, timely, and inspirational book!

Every section of this book touched and convicted me, causing me to realize that after years of self-reliance, a strong sense of duty, and a get-er-done attitude in leadership roles, I had come to see myself as a victim of circumstances and was wallowing in self-pity, believing my life and purpose were over. Crenshaw's no-nonsense approach to life, his humility in admitting his own mistakes, and his willingness to openly share his own journey of suffering and enlightenment were exactly what I needed to read to get my life back on track. I greatly appreciate his stoicism, rational thinking, and historical context which makes current events much easier to understand.

Note: There are a few f-bombs. Crenshaw was a Navy SEAL and draws heavily on those experiences (and most of the f-bombs are in related conversations during training).

No comments:

Post a Comment