Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Birthing a book is hard work

 


I never intended to disappear for so many months. On New Year's Eve we had a serious leak under our kitchen sink which led to having our foundation leveled (apparently a common problem in North Texas), more expensive repairs, and months' of other plumbing issues which still aren't resolved, but it looks like we're going to have our entire sewer system replaced (cast iron pipes for PVC). Needless to say, with all the money going out and watching our savings deplete as quickly as the plumber's water test proved there was a leak somewhere, I went back to work. I signed a lease for a 10 x 10 stall in an antique mall. It's been a lot of work, but more fun than I anticipated, meeting new people all the time and learning about "vintage" stuff. And best of all, all those extra steps I walk every day are helpful in managing my lymphedema, even in this Texas heat.

For awhile, I feared I had lost my ability to write. I had planned to finish Fiona's Gift in January and publish in March or April, but I couldn't concentrate, either on writing or reading books of any kind. But I kept pushing ahead, sometimes only writing a couple sentences or paragraphs a day, determined to slog through the drought of words. The book was complicated by the fact that the headstrong Fiona changed the plot on me. Good thing I let her, though, because it made the story much stronger. It also turned out to be the longest novel I've ever written--156,000 words!

I was able to finish, to my great relief. The Kindle version releases June 24, but it will be next month before the paperback will be ready, in part because the manuscript is so long, and because I have to remember how to format. Because Fiona's story changed, Tristam's will, too. I hope to begin the last book in this series as soon as possible.

Also because of something that happens in this book (totally unexpected), a third series is percolating inside my head: Mercy's Grandchildren. I really, truly thought Tristam's story would be the end of my time in Levathia, but the characters have taken on a life of their own, and I no longer control their lives. I am merely a scribe to record the stories they wish to be recorded. One of the strangest (and coolest) things that has ever happened to me!

Fiona is Mercy's most difficult child: headstrong to the nth degree. Her story is a kind of "prodigal daughter" tale (along with the further adventures of Val and Emma, and getting to know Tristam better). Even I didn't know what her "gift" would be until I finished writing the book! I hope and pray it is a satisfying read and an encouragement, which is always my goal, along with glorifying God my Father.

I have dedicated this book to a precious young mother who lost her life last December while battling covid in a hospital. I never had the opportunity to meet Allie in person, but she and I connected on FaceBook after her mother introduced her to Mercy & the gang. Allie was such an enthusiastic participant in my FB launch party for Mercy's Joy, which I designed to "feel" like an actual coronation party with a medieval tournament. For the first time I was SO tempted to give her one of the prizes, even though random(dot)org never once picked her number! She was so sweet to message me with heartfelt thanks that reading how Mercy and Valerian and Kieran handled the extreme trials in their lives encouraged her in her own struggles. That has been an unexpected blessing of this author journey--to connect with readers on such a deep level, I felt like a family member died when sweet Allie succumbed to the ventilator.

May you find joy in the midst of trials, for there is definitely joy to be found when we open our eyes!

Fiona's Gift on Amazon is 99 cents to preorder, and if I forget to change the price, like I did last year for Valerian's Flight, it will still be 99 cents after launch date. My chemo-induced brain damage is your gain! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment