Monday, August 1, 2016

Monday Book Review by the Book Dragon: Compelling Christian Fantasy with Dragons!

The Book Dragon recommends Jaye L. Knight's Ilyon Chronicles, a highly original and compelling Christian fantasy series with dragons with an overall rating of 5 claws!

Prequel Novella: Half Blood
My 5 star review: "I read book 1 RESISTANCE before reading the prequel, but it will work either way. This was a powerful story, tightly focused on the title character, Jace. My heart hurt so much for him as he tried so hard to hold onto a speck of hope in a hopeless situation. A power reminder to not judge on appearances but look into the heart, and have faith and trust in God."

Book One: Resistance
My 4 star review: "This is a thoughtful and compelling story with wonderfully developed characters in an interesting fantasy world. The best thing about this book was the encouragement for believers to stand courageous in the face of persecution, and the most powerful scene shows exactly that."

Book Two: The King's Scrolls
My 5 star review: "This second book in the Ilyon Chronicles is even better than the first. The stakes are high, and the emperor will stop at nothing to find the King's Scrolls. New characters, both endearing and traitorous are introduced, and best of all there are dragons! My favorite aspect of this book is demonstrating through the suffering of the characters that Elom (God) is ever near and He will find a way to fulfill his will, even when lives are changed forever and all hope seems to be lost."

Book Three: Samara's Peril
My 5 star review: "This series continues to imbed itself in my heart. The characters feel like family, and I ache for their trials and disappointments, and rejoice in their triumphs. They continue to grow, sometimes in unexpected ways, and this world feels real. Without giving away too many details, I just want to commend Ms. Knight on the powerful redemption scene that brought me to tears. Reading it was even more powerful and personal than what happened in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Bravo! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series...."
I read on Goodreads that the next book is titled Exiles, but it has not been released yet. I think it's really special that Ms. Knight is a homeschool graduate! And not just because I was a homeschool Mom for 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment