Monday, April 9, 2018

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: Well-written historical fiction set in the 1920's

The Book Dragon has finished Cynthia T. Toney's The Other Side of Freedom and gives it a resounding five claws!
My 5 star review: "Though this historical fiction was written for young teens, it would appeal to anyone interested in reading about the trials of Italian immigrants during the era of Prohibition. I'd heard of Al Capone and nefarious activities going on during the 1920's but never thought about the effects of that criminal activity upon the average family. The details are so richly drawn, I felt as if I'd been transported back in time. The main character, 13 year old Salvatore (Sal) lives on a strawberry farm with his parents and young uncle, and his dilemma twisted my heart. This is a must-read for lovers of historical fiction. (And for a story in which the Mob plays a big role, it's squeaky-clean.)"

This book is also listed on the Catholic Teen Books site, along with Toney's other works.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review, Book Dragon. Sounds like you really sunk your claws into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book Dragon says, "Not only did I sink my claws into this book, it was so good it made me want to eat it!"

      Delete