Monday, January 13, 2020

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: An epic historical family saga!

The Book Dragon has read Because That's What Families Do by Pamela Sharp and gives it a roaring five claws!
My 5 star review: This is a very long book, but in the tradition of epic historical fiction, it does not seem at all long because I was swept up in the story and totally immersed. The author has done such excellent research that it feels like I was transported back in time and experienced slices of life from the 1940's, 50's, and 60's with the members of a lovable, not-so-average family in South Carolina. The three main characters are the religious and initially mild-mannered Beth Bradbourne, her flamboyant cousin Sarah Lockridge, and the young man they both fall in love with, handsome devil Clayton Martin, who is a perfectly rotten antagonist. Not only these three become living, breathing humans, but the large cast of unforgettable secondary characters are portrayed in all their glory (or dishonor, as the case may be). I don't think I'll ever stop thinking about them because they've managed to permanently reside in my heart!

If you lived during those turbulent times, or have an interest in post-World War II history, or if you simply enjoy reading about the trials and triumphs of someone else's family (and be prepared to fall in love with this one), I highly recommend this book! There is no "on screen" sex or violence, but there is a bit of language (though the most offensive terms are not spelled out). There are so many quotable lines, but most of them are spoilers, so I won't post them. I'll just leave you with this wonderful quote: "You can't give people faith; you can only show them yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment