Monday, March 2, 2020

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: Fun cozy mystery set in colorful New Orleans

The Book Dragon has finished reading A Flair for Beignets (the third in the Sadie Kramer Flair mystery series) by Deborah Garner and gives it 5 claws.
My review: This is the first of Deborah Garner's books I have read, but it won't be the last. Mystery was never my favorite genre, but after reading several lately, I'm beginning to like the puzzle aspect of it. What makes this one a gem is the quirky MC Sadie Kramer, who is totally not my kind of person in real life, yet I find her fascinating enough to read an entire book about her. She actually reminds me of Miss Bianca (voiced by Eva Gabor in the old animated movie The Rescuers). Outwardly she appears to be merely another a wealthy California fashionista with a spoiled Yorkie she carries in a tote, but she has a good heart and a knack for unintentionally falling into situations--like witnessing the sudden death of the owner of her hotel at a nearby bakery when she's on vacation in New Orleans "to relax" from the pressures of owning a San Francisco boutique.

Even though this is the 3rd in a series, it is totally self-contained, and it actually makes me want to go back and read the other books. NOLA is colorfully and realistically portrayed. The supporting characters are all fully fleshed out and also colorful in their way. And the best thing was, I had NO idea who the murderer was, even though there were several I was sure HAD to be the one. What a fun book!

No comments:

Post a Comment