Monday, February 24, 2020

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: Compelling Christian fantasy

The Book Dragon has read Dare by Tricia Mingerink (Book One in the Blades of Acktar series) and gives it 5 claws!
My review: 4.5 stars for an interesting and compelling story set in a fantasy world that feels like a blend of a sort-of Regency era crossed with the Old West in the U.S., but it works. Especially the concept of the King's Blades. What made me keep reading, however, was the characters, from the young MC Third Blade Leith Torren to the also young Renna and her sister Brandi, all of whom are multilayered and sympathetic. This is apparently a young author's debut novel, but she's done a great job of sustaining suspense and interest while showing believable character growth. This is a clean read, suitable for young readers. The one thing I need to caution readers about is that it ends on a cliffhanger, which I wasn't expecting! I understand why authors do this...so you'll want to immediately read the next in the series, but speaking as a reader, it is a bit disappointing to be turning pages as fast as you can to find out what happens next to these nice people in danger, and---yikes! I still recommend it! The Christian elements are strong throughout but never heavy-handed. I'll read the next one...eventually, but my TBR pile will keep me busy for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment