Monday, June 17, 2019

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: Witty alternate history fantasy


The Book Dragon has read Kyle Robert Shultz's Horseman, the first book in the Crockett and Crane series, and gives it 5 claws!

My review: 4.5 stars for a quirky, witty, and fun alternate history of the US, where magic and monsters are real. The setting is the Wild (very wild) West, and the main character is a part-time centaur on the cover who sells potions like an old-time traveling snake-oil peddler. I didn't like him at first, but kept reading because the story was so unusual. All the characters are memorable and easy to visualize, and my favorite is Julio. I don't want to give away any of the surprises, because that's the fun part of reading this book, but if you like quirky characters with witty banter, this book is for you! WARNING: This is the first in a series, so not a stand-alone. I personally get aggravated when a story doesn't have at least some kind of ending, but I know other readers enjoy reading "serials."

No comments:

Post a Comment