Monday, July 23, 2018

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: Beautifully written fantasy with magic, music, and Cherokee folklore


The Book Dragon has read Aerisian Refrain by Sarah Ashwood and gives it a rip-roaring five claws!
My five star review: "This book was an amazing read! I didn't think I would connect with the MC, Annie, who was a world-famous singer, but she had a depth of character and humility that made me wish she was real so we could be friends. She was strong, yet caring, and I hurt with her at all the losses and pain she suffered in the course of the story.

"The fantasy elements were terrific! I had previously read the first Aerisian trilogy and was already loved the fantasy world the author had created, but this book made everything deeper, more resonant, and more meaningful. The descriptions are beautiful and poetic and totally immersed me in the land of Aerisia. I love how some of the magic is tied to music. It feels real! And the dragons and their riders are memorable, even though they don't play a huge part in this story.

"One of the best things about this book is the friendship Annie develops with her fellow traveler from Earth, the Artan, Hannah, and the BEST part is the relationship Annie develops with Cole, the Simathe Lord who was my favorite in the first trilogy. The ending was surprising, with all kinds of unexpected elements, good and bad.

"I highly recommend this engrossing tale of adventure, love, betrayal, magic, fairies, dragons, and the beautiful Cherokee folklore references. I'm having a hard time writing this review because I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I want everyone to read it, it's that good! Can I just say, "Wow"?"

Better shot of the beautiful cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment