Monday, June 1, 2020

Monday Review by the Book Dragon: A beautiful, enchanting story of a Russian Heroine

The Book Dragon has read Vasilisa by M. L. Farb and gives it five roaring stars!
My review: This is a rich, beautiful story that feels like historical fiction set in medieval Russia with strong flavors of old fairytale magic and romance. I was familiar with Vasilisa from an old Baba Yaga story, but Farb's Vasilisa is a living, breathing, heroic young woman with whom I immediately felt a strong empathy. She is an inspiring fictional heroine! The plot was full of surprises and SO difficult to put aside the book when it was time to do mundane things, like eat or sleep! I was fully immersed in this magical old Russia with the author's wonderful characters. The extras at the back were fun, too, including questions suitable for book clubs (hint, hint). I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment